straight cut suit

Come here to talk about Anabaptist/Mennonite history and traditions and their relationship with how we live our lives

Moderator: Moderators

straight cut suit

Postby dlm4christ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:24 am

What is the significance of the straight cut suit? Sometimes I think it is way over rated. First of all, they aren't cheap and then usually someone has to redo them. Secondly, I feel it can be "jewelry", we put it on to dress up. Some people feel it can help identify us. I thought that our lives are supposed identify us with Christ. I wear the straight cut suit and don't think it is wrong, but I would like to hear some discussion. Thanks
you're AWESOME! because God made you!
dlm4christ
Young Convert

Re: straight cut suit

Postby Truthseeker » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:52 am

dlm4christ wrote:What is the significance of the straight cut suit? Sometimes I think it is way over rated. First of all, they aren't cheap and then usually someone has to redo them. Secondly, I feel it can be "jewelry", we put it on to dress up. Some people feel it can help identify us. I thought that our lives are supposed identify us with Christ. I wear the straight cut suit and don't think it is wrong, but I would like to hear some discussion. Thanks

Technically, all clothing tends to be over-rated IMO. Yes, we need clothes, and we need (?) to meet certain conventions of attire, so which conventions are we going to adopt? The world's? "Be ye not conformed to the__________?"

Well D4C I wear one, not just because it is recommended by my fellowship/conference, but because I truly detest ties and a layback suit is incomplete with out a tie. :roll:

I grew up wearing layback suits and ties, but had no problem switching to the plain suit coat when I chose to serve Christ in the Mennonite church. :D

The plain suit is just an application that meets the need for a simple and modest business, and/or business attire where a suit is standard fare.

I think that the layback suit, tie, cufflinks, tie tack et all is more inline with jewerly than any plain suit coat.

Now cost, well you got a major point here, but.....have you purchased a good suit of late, not cheap there either.......the alteration is an added expense too, so while I give your expense argument a nod of agreement here I am remembering the other accessories mentioned before as to ties, etc.; which would add to the overall expense but not as much as alterations would.

D4C, do you wear any style of suit coat?

Do you want to wear a suit coat at all?
Php 3:10-11 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Southeastern Mennonite Conference
Truthseeker
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby MeantToRun » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:58 am

I thought that our lives are supposed identify us with Christ.

:A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35

What you wear, who you are, what denomination you belong to, none of those things show people that we are His disciples. Only our love for one another matters. If we have love for each other and show it, the world will see who we are.
MeantToRun
Attentive Learner

Postby Dan Z » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:45 pm

MeantToRun wrote:
:A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35

What you wear, who you are, what denomination you belong to, none of those things show people that we are His disciples. Only our love for one another matters. If we have love for each other and show it, the world will see who we are.

I like your verse and the second part of your thought...however, I think your first sentence is an oversimplification:

I know some Baptist people that would claim that verse, yet would also kill others, even other Christians, if their country was at war.

I know some Unitarian folks who would claim a strong love for one another, so strong in fact that people practicing gay, lesbian, and trans-gender sex are welcomed into membership and affirmed for their God given lifestyle.

I have a friend who spent time at an Ashram commune where love was claimed and celebrated , yet Jesus was thought of as a good man at best.

I know some Christian young people who speak of Gods love yet dress and act in the manor of the Goths, a culture that celebrates death and the macabre.

I know some folks who belong to the Church of Christ Scientist, who practice a sincere love for one another, yet they believe in a "Christ" that is simply a metaphysical force, and state of being that we all could attain.

I heard a Christian stripper interviewed once, a person who saw her craft as a ministry of love to her clients, and an opportunity to witness.

I know some folks from a very loving Episcopalian Church who are advocates for a woman's right to choose an abortion if she wishes.

All I am saying, MeantToRun, is that often what we wear, who we are, and what denomination we belong to does matter, particularly if it effects how we choose to live our life. An ethic of love is a great, and biblical idea, but how it is worked out makes a HUGE difference for the Kingdom of God.
Dan Z
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby Truthseeker » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:31 pm

Well said DanZ, casualness in these areas can do harm to the cause of Christ. There is a balance that needs to be attained in life and practice. Once again, the thought of traveling the straight path comes to the forefrount. There is a narrow way, straight gate that takes us to God, and there is a broadway that leads to destruction.

Mt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (KJV)
Php 3:10-11 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Truthseeker
Needs MD Anonymous

Re: straight cut suit

Postby dlm4christ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Truthseeker wrote:D4C, do you wear any style of suit coat?

Do you want to wear a suit coat at all?

I wear the straight cut suit.
If I want to wear the suit coat? I don't mind. I think it looks dressy but not a necessity like some people like think.
you're AWESOME! because God made you!
dlm4christ
Young Convert

Postby MeantToRun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:23 am

All I am saying, MeantToRun, is that often what we wear, who we are, and what denomination we belong to does matter, particularly if it effects how we choose to live our life. An ethic of love is a great, and biblical idea, but how it is worked out makes a HUGE difference for the Kingdom of God.

You've merely added to my point that clothes don't convey the message of love and peace. Loving actions convey the message of love and peace.

You think you have contradicted me, but you've said exactly the same thing I have said.

A denomination is just a gathering of like-minded people. There is no magic to it. You can live like a dsciple of Christ no matter what denom you belong to.
MeantToRun
Attentive Learner

Postby buckeyebold » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 am

God bless you Dan Z for the wisdom and experience you bring here.Totally agree with what you said.

In my church most of the men over 50 wear a straight cut suit.They are comfortable with me not wearing one and do not have a spirit of pride or condemnation.

When I grew up it was required and I vacillated between pride and detesting it. :? So because of a bad personal experience with it I reacted against it for years.I also see now that I was proud that I was free from its "bondage".

I was at a large event on Saturday and hadn't seen so many Straightcuts in one place in years....I have to admit feeling out of place and not quite anabaptist enough. :wink:

I came away sad that many(most) of my mennonite friends would have been threatened by all the straightcuts and much larger coverings and not gone again to such an event (Faith Builders Non-Resistance Colloquy).Wish they would have been there.

I also know,because I have been there,that the presence of a lot of laydowns and maybe a tie or 2 would be unsettling to a more "conservative" anabaptist and perhaps prevent him from fellowship with other fellow anabaptists.

We need to break the wall of dress down in our circles to show real love.I know that my side has the thickest and highest wall.

And in answer to the original post,if the straight cut is preached as salvation(which I have never heard and would be unscriptural) in your church you have deeper issues than the straightcut and need to question why you are still there.If it is a tradition that is promoting brotherhood,a sence of identity for the young men,ie.I choose to be different and am OK with that,and serves as a reminder of who you are then it can be a blessing.The biggest blessing I see in it (and did not see when I was young) is it presents a very real struggle for young men to work through.
buckeyebold
Accomplished Teacher

Postby Spencer Raley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:43 pm

If you wanna talk about being seperated from the world, all you doing is conforming you to the Catholic church down here. I know a deacon who already had people come up to him thinking he's a priest. That's what probably 60%+ of people identify us as.

I'm not scared of suit and ties. It can't take my salvation away, I'm the only one who can let that happen. I used to wear a plain coat but now don't and don't really plan too. I think for me, the plain coat was more a stumbling block to be honest, and that was my fault, not the coat's.
“Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window.” - Steve Wozniak
Spencer Raley
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru

Postby Mr Jim » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:54 pm

As one not seeing this suit before until moving to PA I personally think they look great. But my wife doesn't think I should have one since it identifies a person as belonging to a specific group. And I can see where I might have some "pride" wearing one...

My best suit coat came from the Thrift Store at $4.00...meh, guess the clothes don't really matter, but if I ever move somewhere there's no mennonite folks I'm gettin' one :lol:
"Failure to defend right is support for evil through acquiescence. One can not be truly neutral."~gene
Mr Jim
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby EROPPER » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:18 pm

Why are conservative ana-baptists so obsessed with outward appearance????? ie. "the plain coat"

It only hinders their reaching out to the lost, because the lost may view all these "outward traditions" as a requirement for that particular "religion"
and respond negatively

And no, I'm not advocating abandoning all biblical principles of modesty or simplicity......But there are pointless traditions that some have attached to their "church" that are damaging to their outreach

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7b
"The hallmark of an authentic evangelicalism is not the uncritical repetition of old traditions, but the willingness to submit every tradition, however ancient, to fresh biblical scrutiny and, if necessary, reform." -John Stott
EROPPER
Skilled Preacher

Postby Truthseeker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm

I would say that if clothing keeps people from drawing close to Christ then I would question their commitment to Him.

I had no problem accepting the conservative Mennonite standards when I decided to join the church here.

Perhaps this perceived reluctance to such acceptance is more the Burger King ideology of today, "I want it my way".

A commitment to Christ is to include a change of all ones lifestyle along with their citizenship in a new kingdom. The things of the old kingdom may not be expedient in the new.

Truthseeker
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby prairiechyld » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:47 pm

I doubt that clothing will prevent someone from drawing close to Christ, it may, however, discourage someone from drawing close to a particular denomination.
prairiechyld
Junior Menno Guru

Postby Wayne in Maine » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:53 pm

EROPPER wrote:Why are conservative ana-baptists so obsessed with outward appearance????? ie. "the plain coat"

It only hinders their reaching out to the lost, because the lost may view all these "outward traditions" as a requirement for that particular "religion"
and respond negatively

And no, I'm not advocating abandoning all biblical principles of modesty or simplicity......But there are pointless traditions that some have attached to their "church" that are damaging to their outreach

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7b

If a little thing like a particular style of coat would hinder the lost then perhaps they really are not interested in following Jesus in the first place.

Jesus warned His followers, those who would obtain the kingdom of heaven that they would be hated and persecuted, even killed for His sake. Yet at the same time he likened finding that kingdom to a treasure in a field or a precious jewel which a man might sell all he has to obtain.

In all seriousness, when the cut of a man's coat or a piece of cloth on a woman's head become little things to us then I think we are beginning to see the kingdom of heaven, we are beginning to find a costly pearl. And if these little things are too much for someone to give in to then how will they respond when Jesus says sell your possessions, or leave your home and family? How will they respond when Jesus says take up your cross and follow me?
Wayne in Maine
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby Knight-light » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 pm

prairiechyld wrote:I doubt that clothing will prevent someone from drawing close to Christ, it may, however, discourage someone from drawing close to a particular denomination.

In fairness, other issues can also be a problem. Some are turned off by old-fashioned singing; others by new-fangled songs. Some by dull services; other by hyper-emotionalism. Some by tongues; others by failure to acknowledge the gifts. Some by acceptance of divorce; others by failure to accept. etc. etc. etc.

I come from an unchurched background, so no church is a good 'fit'.
Knight-light
Needs MD Anonymous

Next

Return to Anabaptist/Mennonite History