(Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Come here to talk about Anabaptist/Mennonite history and traditions and their relationship with how we live our lives

Moderator: Moderators

(Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby LibertarianChristian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:02 am

Does anybody know of any conservative mennonite congregation in Romania?

The kind that does not allow TV, and the girls wear a head-covering, and the people are kind of humble.

PLEASE, Read "TO TRAIN UP A CHILD"(by Michael Pearl) Read "behind enemy lines" by Peter Mehl. Read KJV Bible
LibertarianChristian
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 am
Location: NON MENNONITE PROTESTANT RIGHT WINGA

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby qwerty44 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:05 am

Wondering why you ask about Romania. Are you there?
qwerty44
Accomplished Teacher
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 am

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby LibertarianChristian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:16 am

Im not there but I would like to recommend some (conservative christian, set-apart) people to visit a conservative mennonite church, perchance they see the good in it.

PLEASE, Read "TO TRAIN UP A CHILD"(by Michael Pearl) Read "behind enemy lines" by Peter Mehl. Read KJV Bible
LibertarianChristian
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 am
Location: NON MENNONITE PROTESTANT RIGHT WINGA

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby Szdfan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 am

I doubt it, unless there's been some post-Cold War missions that I don't know about.

I took a look at GAMEO --

There was a group of Hutterites in Transylvania when it was still part of Hungary, but they left in the 18th Century for Turkish Romania and the Ukraine.
http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A45682.html

The Hutterites that immigrated to Walachia (Romania) under the Turks only lived there until 1770 when they fled to the Ukraine to escape the Russo-Turkish War.

There was a large community in Danzig (today Gdansk, Poland), but most of them immigrated to the Ukraine in the 19th Century and the rest went to the West after WWII.

Most Mennonites in Eastern Europe were living in the former Soviet Union (Russia, Siberia and the Ukraine) and immigrated to Germany after the Berlin Wall came down. The immigration to Germany has revitalized the German Mennonite Church which had been reduced to a "faithful remnant" after WWII, but the Russian/Ukrainian Mennonite communities are dying.

Also...the "plain" Mennonite culture which LC is asking about is specific to the South German/Swiss Brethren that emigrated to the United States in the 18th Century. Most eastward Mennonite emigration was by the North German/Dutch brethren who never were "plain." So I'd be shocked if anybody found an indigenous "plain" Mennonite community in Eastern Europe.
Last edited by Szdfan on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't understand," said Gerald, alone in his third-class carriage, how railway trains and magic can go on at the same time."

And yet they do.

-- E. Nesbit, "The Enchanted Castle"
User avatar
Szdfan
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 am
Location: La Junta, CO

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby Johann » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:35 am

There is a scribe from Romania who writes in the Budget (I forget the location). A church in the Memphis, MO area also has people over in Romania; I think they might be Holdeman Mennonites. Some of them run an orphanage over there. Not very helpful, I know...
Johann
Skilled Preacher
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby theosis » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:08 am

in Suceauva is located the nathaniel christian orphanage, which is run by the beachy amish under CAM. i believe they have a small community based around the orphanage and a functioning church.

my mum informed me of a book about the orphanage,written by johnny miller,entitled "heart bridge: joys and sorrows at nathaniel christian orphanage in romania":
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Bridge-Nath ... 1885270739
User avatar
theosis
Menno Guru
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby LibertarianChristian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Thank you kindly for the information, Szdfan, Theosis and Johann, for the info. Any more info, please tell.

Blessings.

I wonder, Theosis, how did you come in contact with mennos? How are you now an eastern orthodox, but enjoy hanging out with mennos? I don't mean to offend, just curious.

PLEASE, Read "TO TRAIN UP A CHILD"(by Michael Pearl) Read "behind enemy lines" by Peter Mehl. Read KJV Bible
LibertarianChristian
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 am
Location: NON MENNONITE PROTESTANT RIGHT WINGA

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby theosis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I wonder, Theosis, how did you come in contact with mennos? How are you now an eastern orthodox, but enjoy hanging out with mennos? I don't mean to offend, just curious.


ah, that's a long and curious saga indeed.

the shorter version-and one i've recently formulated after much soul-searching,is that i am a multi-cultural sort of animal. within christendom, the Eastern Orthodox and Anabaptist traditions are the two cultures/traditions in which i feel most at home. strangely enough, in many ways the two paths are oddly similar-both are quite rigourous and other-worldly, though in different ways. most of the rest of christendom is neither as familiar nor as deeply loved by me. within a lovely flowerbed of choices, these are my best picks. :D
User avatar
theosis
Menno Guru
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby LibertarianChristian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:45 am

theosis wrote:

the shorter version-and one i've recently formulated after much soul-searching,is that i am a multi-cultural sort of animal. within christendom, the Eastern Orthodox and Anabaptist traditions are the two cultures/traditions in which i feel most at home. strangely enough, in many ways the two paths are oddly similar-both are quite rigourous and other-worldly, though in different ways. most of the rest of christendom is neither as familiar nor as deeply loved by me. within a lovely flowerbed of choices, these are my best picks. :D


But, were you raised menno? or eastern...? Are your parents menno or eastern?

Have you read the whole Bible? What were you raised...

PLEASE, Read "TO TRAIN UP A CHILD"(by Michael Pearl) Read "behind enemy lines" by Peter Mehl. Read KJV Bible
LibertarianChristian
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 am
Location: NON MENNONITE PROTESTANT RIGHT WINGA

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby Dan Z » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:30 am

theosis wrote:within a lovely flowerbed of choices, these are my best picks.


What a lovely outlook theosis...this lifted my spirits. Thank you.

It seems so often that hear discussions about what is wrong with this faith or that...these conversations tend to focus on human weakness and inconsistance...rather than remembering the fragrant gift that faith provides to a life well lived, and the God of wonder who extended this gift to us so we mak know glimpses of glory.

It is right occasionally to enjoy the garden rather than always focusing on the weeds.
To believe the promise of Jesus that his followers shall posses the earth, and at the same time to face our enemies unarmed and defenseless, preferring to incur injustice rather than doing wrong ourselves, is indeed the narrow way - Bonnhoeffer
User avatar
Dan Z
Needs MD Anonymous
 
Posts: 6083
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: Haiti

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby RagPicker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:55 am

LibertarianChristian wrote:
theosis wrote:

the shorter version-and one i've recently formulated after much soul-searching,is that i am a multi-cultural sort of animal. within christendom, the Eastern Orthodox and Anabaptist traditions are the two cultures/traditions in which i feel most at home. strangely enough, in many ways the two paths are oddly similar-both are quite rigourous and other-worldly, though in different ways. most of the rest of christendom is neither as familiar nor as deeply loved by me. within a lovely flowerbed of choices, these are my best picks. :D


But, were you raised menno? or eastern...? Are your parents menno or eastern?

Have you read the whole Bible? What were you raised...


LC, what religion are you? Where do you go to church? What religion were you raised as?
Ragpicker: Inducing heartburn since October 13th, 2005.
User avatar
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: Let's just say I can hook you up with some killer barbecued brisket.

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby qwerty44 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:20 am

RagPicker wrote:
LibertarianChristian wrote:
theosis wrote:

the shorter version-and one i've recently formulated after much soul-searching,is that i am a multi-cultural sort of animal. within christendom, the Eastern Orthodox and Anabaptist traditions are the two cultures/traditions in which i feel most at home. strangely enough, in many ways the two paths are oddly similar-both are quite rigourous and other-worldly, though in different ways. most of the rest of christendom is neither as familiar nor as deeply loved by me. within a lovely flowerbed of choices, these are my best picks. :D


But, were you raised menno? or eastern...? Are your parents menno or eastern?

Have you read the whole Bible? What were you raised...


LC, what religion are you? Where do you go to church? What religion were you raised as?


You forgot to ask if he's read the whole Bible. :|
qwerty44
Accomplished Teacher
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 am

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby RagPicker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 am

qwerty44 wrote:
RagPicker wrote:
LC, what religion are you? Where do you go to church? What religion were you raised as?


You forgot to ask if he's read the whole Bible. :|


That was coming for sure! LOL
Ragpicker: Inducing heartburn since October 13th, 2005.
User avatar
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous
 
Posts: 9806
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: Let's just say I can hook you up with some killer barbecued brisket.

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby LibertarianChristian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:58 am

I have answered this question many times, before, in other threads, and I feel very lazy right now to look for the links. I was raised romish, then read the whole Bible, and became Christian.

I agree with menno in most things, more than with other denominations, with these exceptions, that I remember now:

Baptism (I think it should be by immersion)
Poligamy (I don't think it is adultery, but I think it is not recommended and should be discouraged).

I was never a member of any denomination. I was baptized in the Holy Name of Jesus, by inmmersion, by request.

I visit different churches as conservative as can be found, but I am not a formal member. It is written: "forsaking not the assembling of yourselves together, as the manner of some is"

PLEASE, Read "TO TRAIN UP A CHILD"(by Michael Pearl) Read "behind enemy lines" by Peter Mehl. Read KJV Bible
LibertarianChristian
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 am
Location: NON MENNONITE PROTESTANT RIGHT WINGA

Re: (Conservative)Mennonites in Romania

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 am

I believe Apostolic Christians have cornered the market for Anabaptist churches in the Slavic countries, namely Hungary, Romania and the Ukraine. At one time they were 80,000 strong in those areas, but Communism has taken its toll, but many churches still survive. They have been under severe state persecution as late as 1989 and even today some of the churches are subject to physical attacks by the hostile Orthodox & Catholic majorities in those countries. For that reason, they prefer to stay under the radar, but the following pages would be a good starting point. It has pictures of many of our churches in those areas and some of the church members and their homes as well. Scarves seem to be the preferred head coverings in most areas, though in some of the Hungarian churches, the traditional Apostolic Christian long flowing lace veil for church and much headcovering for everyday use prevails. Apostolic Christians are known by the name "Nazarene" in the Slavic countries. And yes, Apostolic Christians baptize by immersion.

http://www.pbase.com/stoller31/dadspictures
http://www.pbase.com/stoller31/picturesphil
http://www.pbase.com/stoller31/europe08
Jason
Skilled Preacher
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Midwest

Next

Return to Anabaptist/Mennonite History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest