Mennonite ladies and hairstyles

Here's where you can talk about parenting, health, recipes, family relationships, gardening, homeschooling, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mennonite ladies and hairstyles

Postby LittleMy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

Okay this is I admit a silly question, but bearing in mind there are no Mennonites, and as far as I can see probably no conservative Christians within hundreds of miles of where I live, I don't have any one else to ask.

I came back to this board after a break ( mainly because I couldn't find any local Mennonite congregation to visit locally, so I wondered if my whole interest was self-centred instead of doing what God wanted me to, but that could be a whole other post so I'll leave it at that)....and I happen to love photos so I looked at the pictures of you all, and I noticed of course that many Mennonite women cover, I think I get where that comes from....it was their hair underneath that intrigued me....does no-one wear a fringe? ( I think people in the States call these bangs, forgive me if I have got this wrong? )...and how about dyeing your hair is that considered the done thing? I know it's trivial but it kind of interests me, I come from a liberal Quaker Meeting and in the UK Quakers almost have a dress code of not colouring their hair, sensible shoes and comfy clothes ( often fair trade or from charity shops), wondered if there was something similar amongst Mennonites?
LittleMy
Accomplished Teacher

Re: Mennonite ladies and hairstyles

Postby theosis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 pm

in my experience, most of the churches, ranging from old order amish or mennonites and at least on up to the "moderate conservatives" would not encourage/allow the women to wear fringes or dye their hair. i don't believe i ever read any rules about this-it was just a sort of unspoken thing. in the more "liberal" churches, i am not sure what is required of church members, though i would imagine it to be less strict. in the past few years the moderate conservative elements have adopted what is seen to be a "trendy" hairstyle amongst the younger girls and women, in which the hair is plastered against the head with a side part in the front and then brushed backwards in the back. this is very obviously an attempt to give the appearance of "side-bangs",which have enjoyed quite a few years of popularity in the general society. regarding dying the hair, i would not at all be surprised if some of the "moderate conservative" women might dye their hair (i knew a few who did), but it is not the general custom. sensible shoes and comfy clothing is indeed favoured by the plainer mennonites, but i do remember that even in some of the "plainer" churches, some of the women did wear pumps to church or for special occasions, such as weddings. also, many of the women favoured quite elegant, slightly more expensive and dressier fabrics for their sunday and special occasion dresses- with the look of silk or satin or other luxury fabrics.
theosis
Menno Guru

Postby barbara10 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:47 am

The main body of Mennonites (MCUSA) does not have dress codes. The more conservative people are divided into many small groups with individualized standards. Usually the standards are written. Hair dye is prohibited, but some women cover up grey and white hair discreetly. All these conservative groups say women must not cut their hair, and bangs mean cutting hair, so it would be forbidden. Groups vary as to how they part their hair and how they comb the front. The stricter groups insist on uniformity. It's a similar ethos to that of 18th and early 19th century Quakerism.
barbara10
Voluble Menno Guru

Postby LittleMy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:58 am

Thank you both. I guess I should have realised that having a fringe equals cutting hair and that conservative groups might have rules against it! Barbara it helps me that you gave the similarity to 18th century Quakerism, I think that's why a lot of the pictures of conservative Mennonites make me feel so at home. Incidentally, the UK Quakers are now almost exclusively liberal, unlike the States where I understand here are more traditional branches still thriving.
LittleMy
Accomplished Teacher

Postby Elise » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:32 am

Well, I have seen photos online of Plain Quakers with fringes.There is no specfic rule as such in the bible about it other than not cutting hair/not cutting hair short.It's more down to bibilical interpation of various churches.
Elise
Voluble Menno Guru

Postby phathui5 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:38 pm

I cover my head.

I don't wear bangs because I hate them, not because of a religious conviction.

I do occasionally dye my hair, but it's for Mr Baer's eyes only. 8)
My littles: 12yo boy, 10yo girl, 8yo boy, 5yo boy and The Baby

Midwife/Homeschooling Mom
phathui5
Skilled Preacher

Return to Home