Summer Camp

Here's where you can talk about parenting, health, recipes, family relationships, gardening, homeschooling, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Summer Camp

Postby Wayne in Maine » Wed May 16, 2007 7:03 am

I want to send my girls (9 and 12) to summer camp. We are conservative in values and practices, so that makes finding a camp difficult for girls who wear dresses and cover. Even the Christian camps in our area would be very uncomfortable places for them, being contemporary Evangelical (I don't thrill at my girls being taught to do their makup).

Can anyone help? We want to find a camp within a days driving distance (Pennsylvania is okay) that will give them some fun outdoor activity -like girls camps used to be several decades ago.
Wayne in Maine
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby jmkreider » Wed May 16, 2007 8:45 am

camp swatara in bethel, pa is a brethren owned and operated campsite. they have weekend retreats, week retreats, and family camping. when i was there for the weekend/week retreats i never saw any veiled girls, but for the family camping there were. its worth looking into, although depending how far the drive is i dont know if youd want to for just a week. some of their camps may go longer than that, im not sure...

http://www.campswatara.org/index.php?retry=1
jmkreider
Accomplished Teacher

Postby titus2daughter » Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 am

Can't help you right now.... :( But when I read this I just sighed, lol. It's my dream to one day run a camp like you described because there isn't a lot out there like that. I've seen so many people's lives touched at christian summer camps, mine included, that I would love to be involved in that sort of ministry. Ask me in 20 years... 8)

Now that I think of it though.... I don't know if this would help, but the bill rice ranch in tennessee is a conservative camp. They don't cover, however their dress standard is from what I can tell. I have personally never been there, although I know many people who have, and I will be there for a few weeks this summer. I realize its far though. PM me if you want to know more.
titus2daughter
Menno Guru

Summer Camp -A follow up.

Postby Wayne in Maine » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:01 am

We sent the girls to "Camp Good News" last week. It happened that some family friends were on staff that week, and our older girl's counselor was someone we knew as well.

Unfortunately it was run by Child Evangelism Fellowship so its primary purpose obviously was to get children converted. They had 4 chapel meetings a day, with over 4 hours of the day given over to what was essentially evangelism.

What we really wanted to find was a Christian camp where our spiritual values would be respected, where the girls could just have fun in an atmosphere of Christian decency and wholesomeness.

The girls did not come back having "accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior" and they did have a lot of fun. Our oldest daughter had her own opportunities to "witness" -that is to explain why she veils and dresses modestly.

I hope next year we can find something better.
Wayne in Maine
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby avemaria » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 pm

The Keystone Mennonite Conference in PA does summer camps. The girls' camp is RUBYS (acronym) and the boys' is ARROWS. They are both located a little south of Lancaster.

They are for kids ages 8-16. Some of the girls cover, but it's not required. They do have a chapel service, but the camp focus is not on evangelism.

I will pm names and phone numbers of contact people to anyone interested.
avemaria
Uber Menno Guru

Postby hillperson » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:36 pm

I was thinking of the same organization but didn't know details. I do know this camp fills up fast and you'll want to get your name in early.
hillperson
Menno Guru

Postby Wayne in Maine » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:56 pm

hillperson wrote:I was thinking of the same organization but didn't know details. I do know this camp fills up fast and you'll want to get your name in early.

I appreciate the info. Next year...
Wayne in Maine
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby Heirbyadoption » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 pm

I would recommend our youth camp out here in CA, but that's more than a day's drive and as it is always over capacity they generally limit it to our fellowship's youngfolks:( However, you've got the covering and modesty, and we don't do altar calls, although the gospel certainly gets presented.
Heirbyadoption
Menno Guru

Return to Home