Essense never existed, Saducees wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Come here to discuss or ask questions about a Biblical passage, what it means, different interpretations of it, or how it should be applied in our lives.

Moderator: Moderators

Essense never existed, Saducees wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Postby Wayne in Maine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 am

I found this interesting, especially as the Essenses are in fact mentioned so little by 1st century writers and so much fiction and speculation has grown up around them. Apparently though a substantial group of Jewish scholars have long held that the Saducees wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls, not the Essenes.

Scholarship suggesting the existence of the Essenes, a religious Jewish group that lived in the Judea before the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE, is wrong, according to Prof. Rachel Elior, whose study on the subject will be released soon.

Elior blasts the predominant opinion of Dead Sea Scrolls scholars that the Essenes had written the scrolls in Qumran, claiming instead that they were written by ousted Temple priests in Jerusalem.

Elior says the Sadducees, a sect descending from the high priest Zadok, who anointed Solomon as king, are the true authors. The scrolls belonged to the Temple and were brought to the Dead Sea to protect them, she says.

"The scrolls speak in clear Hebrew of the priests, sons of Zadok. So why call them Essenes?" asked Elior. "That's a distortion of history."

Full article here: Scholar: The Essenes, Dead Sea Scroll 'authors,' never existed
"To follow the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ and to walk in his footsteps."
Wayne in Maine
Needs MD Anonymous

Re: Essense never existed, Saducees wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Postby PastorRich » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 am

Wow, that's interesting. The more men come to know the less they do. Wonder how long it will be till someone proves this guy wrong and the saga continues...
Just goes to show the Word of God is the collection of the only infallible writings in the world.
PastorRich
Senior Menno Guru||Senioretta Menno Guru

Re: Essense never existed, Saducees wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Postby gcdonner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:57 pm

I had read a similar article yesterday and was not convinced by the lack of any new evidence to the contrary of the Essene theory for the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The only source for the Essene existence at this point is Josephus, but then there is no other evidence to contradict Josephus, just another "scholars" opinion.

I'd wait for more evidence before I give credence to another hypothesis, at this point.
Immersed in the Water of the Word and the Spirit, again and again!
gcdonner
Needs MD Anonymous

Return to Biblical Exposition