The "Sleeping Preacher" churches

Come here to discuss things like the nature of God or the great doctrines of the Christian faith. If it doesn't fit under any of the more specific theological forums, put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby RagPicker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:55 pm

The Kauffman Amish Mennonites (Sleeping Preacher Amish) are similar to the Beachy Amish in dress although in some respects more conservative (the men wear longer beards) but in others more liberal (lapel coats with buttons are worn).

From http://www.mhsc.ca/index.asp?content=http://www.mhsc.ca/encyclopedia/contents/D74ME.html
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous

Location: Let's just say I can hook you up with some killer barbecued brisket.

Postby RagPicker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:01 pm

I am very familiar with these groups as are a few others on this board.
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby joel_n » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:13 pm

I have some distant relatives in Missouri from these churches. According to my dad, these churches started as a result of a Mennonite "sleeping preacher" by the name of John Kauffman. He preached against such "new" innovations as prayer meetings and Sunday school. He also said they should continue to use the German language for church services. There were churches known as Amish Mennonite started through his influence in Tampico, IL, Missouri and other places. He preached in the late nineteenth century. There were also Amish "sleeping preachers" about the same time period.
joel_n
Junior Menno Guru

Postby ulrich » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:23 pm

joel_n wrote:I have some distant relatives in Missouri from these churches. According to my dad, these churches started as a result of a Mennonite "sleeping preacher" by the name of John Kauffman. He preached against such "new" innovations as prayer meetings and Sunday school. He also said they should continue to use the German language for church services. There were churches known as Amish Mennonite started through his influence in Tampico, IL, Missouri and other places. He preached in the late nineteenth century. There were also Amish "sleeping preachers" about the same time period.

Who are you related to in MO? I have about 100 1st cousins in the Sleeping Preacher churches:)
ulrich
Skilled Preacher

Postby RagPicker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 pm

ulrich wrote:
Who are you related to in MO? I have about 100 1st cousins in the Sleeping Preacher churches:)

And most of them are my second cousins! LOL
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby joel_n » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 pm

ulrich wrote:
joel_n wrote:I have some distant relatives in Missouri from these churches. According to my dad, these churches started as a result of a Mennonite "sleeping preacher" by the name of John Kauffman. He preached against such "new" innovations as prayer meetings and Sunday school. He also said they should continue to use the German language for church services. There were churches known as Amish Mennonite started through his influence in Tampico, IL, Missouri and other places. He preached in the late nineteenth century. There were also Amish "sleeping preachers" about the same time period.

I don't even know, but I don't think they're very close--I just know my grandpa has talked about this. :wink:
joel_n
Junior Menno Guru

Postby justme » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:16 pm

thanks operationfreedom for those links
there is some very interesting reading there

several things i gleaned, not necessarily abt the sleeping preacher churches tho
guys used to wear knee length breeches---what abt the shorts thread that is so hotly debated!
as the clothing goes, so comes partial surrender of basic mennonite doctrine, including nonresistance
the more uniformity in clothing, the more submission is expected and taught and the more domination by the elders
there did not used to be a difference in clothing styles btw mennonites and others
and lastly: mennonites/amish are mostly a rural people, and rural people are much more resistant to change

just some things i found interesting in this article
"Joy and pain are flip sides of the same coin. If you succeed at insulating yourself against the one, you deny yourself the ability to experience the other." -Kelly Grayson
justme
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby ivorykeys » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:27 am

Wow. That's...bizarre.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
cslewis
ivorykeys
Junior Menno Guru

Postby tmk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:23 pm

OperationFreedom wrote:
ulrich wrote:

And my third cousins :-) HA HA Wonder if it's the same blood line? :-) Btw, OF, how are you related to Joe and Lottie? She's my Grandpa Victor Kropf's sister.
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. -Don Marquis
tmk
Menno Guru

Postby RagPicker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:11 pm

tkropf wrote:
OperationFreedom wrote:
ulrich wrote:

And my third cousins :-) HA HA Wonder if it's the same blood line? :-) Btw, OF, how are you related to Joe and Lottie? She's my Grandpa Victor Kropf's sister.

Joe is a brother to my maternal grandfather, Harvey E. Miller
Ragpicker: Inducing heartburn since October 13th, 2005.
RagPicker
Needs MD Anonymous

Postby denita » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:41 am

tkropf wrote:
OperationFreedom wrote:
ulrich wrote:

Ok..now for another question here..TKropf. Are you Grants son? If Victor is your grandpa...I'm just trying to put this all together. :lol:
~Denita~

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be,
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory.
denita
Junior Menno Guru

Postby peaches1224 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:07 pm

:lol: ... and here we go again with that infamous "Mennonite Game"!! :lol: :wink:
Truth is not determined by how many people believe it!
peaches1224
Voluble Menno Guru

Postby tmk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:19 am

peaches1224 wrote::lol: ... and here we go again with that infamous "Mennonite Game"!! :lol: :wink:

Call it what you want, it keeps us on the same page. ;-)
Yes, Denita, I am Grant's son. And I've been wondering myself where you fit in. I noticed you knew a lot of the same ppl as I so can you enlighten me?
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. -Don Marquis
tmk
Menno Guru

Postby denita » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:20 am

Yea tony, my address is Halsey. I am Dennis Clugstons wife, Arlene.
~Denita~

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be,
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory.
denita
Junior Menno Guru

Previous

Return to General Christian Theology